Tuesday, March 20, 2012

the next generation

In the south of Rwanda there is a valley through which runs the Akagera River. The flat plain of the river is very wide and covered with rice fields. In the distance the rising hills mark the border with Burundi. It takes three hours to get to the secondary school we want to visit, the last hour on a rough dirt road.

the school

In this school there is a Club de Paix of about 60 students and they have assembled to tell us their stories. There is an NGO called Umuseke (Dawn) that has designed an innovative program that explores children’s rights and the roots of conflict. Posters depicting images on topics such as scapegoating, generalizing, prejudice, rumours and discrimination are used as the basis for dialogue and discussion, creating a safe environment for young Rwandans to discuss their history and their present.


A student explains that the genocide started here on 17th April, 1994. People were killed and thrown in the Akagera River and houses were burnt. People were told they could take refuge in the church here, and they came from all sectors of this district came here. Then, he said, on April 18th the rain fell and people started killing. The massacres took almost the whole night. The killing continued until July, and then people fled the country.

Agnes spoke of how rumours hurt her and how she challenged them: “Our school is a day school, and the club meets after classes are over. I would get home late and this made a problem. Some people said, maybe that girl is doing something bad. Even my mom tried to stop me from joining the club because of what she heard from others about me. But I kept coming and helped my mom to understand. Now she is like a member of the club.”

girl telling a story

Rumours also bothered Dieudonne and made him angry: “Some in the village said, “Those are Tutsi, they are survivors, we can’t talk to them. Others said, “Those are killers and if you talk to them they can even kill you. And others said, “The short people are undeveloped.” So I kept quiet because I did not want to start genocide with my words. Then club discussion taught me about prejudice and convinced me that what people are saying outside was not the truth.”

Olive found the strength to overcome prejudice: “People used to stop me from going to where Tutsi lived. They told me that Tutsi were dangerous and that I should not talk to them. But I learned to seek my own information. I have learned about the genocide. And my family has accepted that we should socialize together.”

Claudine became an orphan during the genocide and doesn’t remember her parents: “I was angry at people who had parents. I wanted them to become orphans like me. In the club I began to understand others had problems too. People used to run from me, but now we are integrated. We socialize together and study together.”

Egidia was born after the genocide: “I was told my siblings had been killed during the genocide by Hutu. Because of this, I used to judge people and distrust them, but talks shared in dialogue club helped me. Now I feel comfortable with everyone, regardless of background.”

Martin is the club president: “I used to hear, Tutsi are the cause of the genocide because they killed the President. But after learning and discussing, I decided that what I had heard is not true. Now I look for my own truth. Now I can solve conflicts peacefully without violence. Because of the changes in my life, this group has accepted me as president.”

boy telling a story

These students are leading the way into communities without discrimination and prejudice. They are united in their desire to teach others and to support each other. When a girl breaks down crying during the meeting, several students support her and help her from the room. She is not alone in her pain.



THANK YOU to all the donors who have contributed to the peacemaking exhibition being developed by Aegis Trust at the Kigali Genocide Memorial. You donated beyond my expectations, and your generosity made this story possible.























No comments:

Post a Comment