Monday, May 31, 2010

Phil and the Murambi project

So here's what I'm doing at Murambi -- do read Maggie's blog Road to Murambi first.

Ever since Maggie accepted a posting at the Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre, I've hoped to have an opportunity to contribute my skills as an exhibit designer in the work of education, peace and reconciliation in Rwanda. The opportunity comes sooner than I expect when two weeks into Maggie's job I find myself crammed into a red Toyota with her on our way to Murambi.

Within days I'm heading south again to get precise measurements of the exhibit space and dimensions for the audio-visual exhibits. I've accepted the role of project manager and want to get a deeper feel for the existing panels, images and the space itself. Getting those dimensions proves more challenging than expected when we find the power is out, and in half the rooms we're forced to use the built-in flashlights in our mobile phones to read the measuring tape!

I'm excited to be involved, happy to engage with these dedicated young people whose lives are inextricably entwined with the story of the genocide. Using my computer skills and software in a new-to-me part of the world.

So, along with other connections -- shopping for dinner at the ladies' veggie cooperative up the road, studying Kinyarwanda,  or criss-crossing Kigali by bus or moto, it's been emails to and from England, setting up meetings, going through files and photos. Working with Maggie  on the English version of the text, then meeting the group for stimulating discussion about the issues we've flagged.  Emailing une amie Quebecoise about the French text. Looking through archival photographs. Getting a call from Freddy and jumping on a moto to head mu muji (downtown) to meet him at the Hotel Milles Collines (where the events in the movie Hotel Rwanda occured) to talk with Jacques Morel, a French author who gives us photos and videos documenting the French military presence at Murambi.

All in all an enjoyable if occasionally frustrating but deeply satisfying affair! More to come.

1 comment:

Ben Ziegler said...

Hi Phil,
Great to hear you're finding your own niche in Rwanda. I'm guessing you've done exhibits before in 2 different languages - is it just English & French or is their a local language that will need to be used too? Look forward to following your progress on the exhibit front.
take care,
Ben

Post a Comment